Thursday, June 10, 2010

Spam in My Office Mailbox

Some of my co-workers tell me they often receive spam e-mails at work, but I never did until today. Somehow I got on the mailing list for a Nigerian '419' advanced-fee fraud message, one in a format that might be targeted to State Department employees.

Now, of course I can't tell someone's nationality from his e-mail, and not that I'm profiling or anything, but this kind of scam is Nigeria's leading export. Besides, that lilting Nigerian English style is unmistakable: "In consequent to this, I have been required by the authority to sign some Vital documentations in respect of your Consignment as the code of precedence in line with Diplomatic delivery directives". It sounds so charming.

Here's the message from my newest bestest friend:


EMAIL FROM MR DAVID J. HOPKINS,THE LEGAL DIPLOMATIC OF YOUR PACKAGE BOX AT GEORGE BUSH AIRPORT(IAH)

Good Morning,

I have been in your country since 2:23am at George Bush Intercontinental/Houston Airport (IAH), Houston, Texas port of entry at the North side of Houston, Texas with my partner and have been so busy with the Custom Authorities here at George Bush Intercontinental Airport, having done extensively on this assignment towards carrying out the delivery of Consignment to your doorstep without further delay or sanctions whatsoever.

In consequent to this, I have been required by the authority to sign some Vital documentations in respect of your Consignment as the code of precedence in line with Diplomatic delivery directives.

So I advise that you verify/Re-confirm your current residential address to me, and also tell me the nearest Airport to your home to avoid mistake, because as soon as i clear this problems with the custom authorities and sign some paper works i will be heading to your home address by tomorrow Evening.

I am very busy now at the Custom Authority Office here at George Bush Intercontinental Airport ,as soon as am through speaking with the head of the Authorities i will give you a call,so i advised that you keep your mobile phone open for easy communications.

Finally. I will be oblige to ensure that your package is delivered to you as soon as i settle this issue with the Customs, and also do not contact any other person apart from me the Diplomat of your Consignment.

Once again, thanks for helping me serve you better.

Yours Faithfully.

Mr David Joseph Hopkins


As much fun as it would be to scambait Mr. Hopkins, I think I'll just delete his message and let him keep my Consignment. Or he can leave it with the Custom Authority Office there at George Bush Intercontinental/Houston Airport, and go on about his urgent international delivery business elsewhere.

No comments: