Sunday, September 10, 2023

Alabama School Suspends Six-Year-Old Boys for Playing Cops and Robbers


Read it here: 6-year-old suspended over cops and robbers game

This news takes me back quite a few years to my PTA days. While discussing with an elementary school Principal a similarly ludicrous bit of overreaction to a boy who had draw a picture of a gun, I attempted a little reductio ad absurdum by asking whether the boy would have been guilty of having cigarettes in school if he'd drawn a pack of Marlboros instead of a gun. 

At least, I thought that was taking the question to an absurd level. However, the Principal actually took it seriously and, after thinking it over, said something like 'it would depend on the circumstances.' 

So actual adults - school administrators - told these Alabama kids, in writing no less, that they had been in possession of guns in the form of their index fingers and thumbs. Those fools were playing pretend a whole lot harder, and with much more consequence, than the two boys were.  

I blame postmodernism for this. When all is subjective and relative, when the very concept of objective truth is thrown out the window, we are all just playing games and pretending. The adults no less than the six-year-olds. 

Honesty, I'd put the children in charge of the teachers if I could. They'd be no less fanciful than most school administrators today and a whole lot less cowardly and calculating.  
  

   

     

8 comments:

James said...

These people want a reaction, but I think they've totally misjudged the reaction they will get.

TSB said...

I have the greatest respect for teachers who really teach. Education, backed up by rules and ordered liberty, is the only thing that will improve the lives of the youth, and society. Absent that, yes, bring on the reaction, and it'll get f'ing ugly.

James said...

I agree.

Anonymous said...

When you destroy history you end up running around reinventing the wheel.

James said...

My ex was from Alabama (Auburn).

TSB said...

My condolences on the 'ex' status. I have a couple friends from Auburn, which seems like a nice place.

James said...

No need for condolences, I have discovered geography and the wonderful world of distance!

TSB said...

Ah, is that like in the song 'all my exes live in Texas, that is why I reside in Tennesee'?