Wednesday, August 28, 2013

The Maltese Cauldron (NSFW)



Yeah, that is one boiling vat of rage getting out of the silver Honda, overflowing with anger and emitting a steaming, although limited and unimaginative, trail of obscenities.

The U.S. Embassy in Valletta has confirmed that the American who was screaming at the Maltese gentleman in that YouTube video - currently at 118,000 hits - is an embassy employee who has now departed.

While others deplore his behavior and the embarrassment it has caused the U.S. government, I'll admit that when I saw the news report about this incident my first thought was: I hope the guy isn't a Marine or a hotheaded DS agent. (Oh? I'm the only one who thought that? Sure I am.)  

Not that it really matters, I suppose, but after seeing the video I think I can eliminate Marines and DS agents. The minivan, the bald spot, the pointless slap at the rear view mirror as he gives up and backs off, even the shorts and sandals - I would never challenge anyone to fight while wearing sandals - all say Soccer Dad in a snit.

He doesn't even look that dangerous. Despite all the screaming and gesturing, he never so much as kicks the other guy's door or tries to break a window. Come on, we Americans invented road rage! Is that all he's got?   

My money is on the guy being a stressed-out consular officer.






4 comments:

Anonymous said...

TSB: Stealth drone landing in Cyprus today. So with Syrian air defenses on high alert it's a great time to try out these new toys. If WWIII breaks out in the next few weeks we should have great video. Or maybe we are doing a Malta traffic study. gwb

https://twitter.com/DrRoyMurphy/status/373130898792665088/photo/1

Consul-At-Arms said...

I can neither confirm nor deny my recent explusion from Malta.

TSB said...

CAA: Malta is such a nice place! I'll bet having to leave was even more aggravating than being stuck in that traffic jam.

I was only joking about him being a consular officer; actually, I suspect he is something else entirely. But whatever his assignment - what an incredibly embarrassing incident for the embassy!

James said...

One of these days he'll do this and something will come out that door that he won't like. CAA: Heh!