Thursday, July 2, 2009

Shakespeare Does the Fourth

Courtesy of the American Shakespeare Center, here are the top ten quotes from the Bard on the occasion of Independence Day.

1. I am a foe to tyrants, and my country's friend (Julius Caesar: V.iv.)

2. I do love my country's good with a respect more tender, more holy and profound, than mine own life (Coriolanus: III.iii)

3. In right and service to their noble country (Titus Andronicus: I,i)

4. Who is here so vile that will not love his country? (Julius Caesar: III,iii)

5. I thank you all and here dismiss you all, and to the love and favor of my country commit myself, my person, and the cause (Titus Andronicus: I,i)

6. Having my freedom, boast of nothing else (Richard II: I,ii)

7. Gnawing with my teeth my bonds in sunder, I gain'd my freedom (The Comedy of Errors: V,i)

8. Let's all cry peace, freedom, and liberty! (Julius Caesar III,i)

9. This liberty is all that I request (The Taming of the Shrew: II,i)

10. Leave us to our free election (Pericles, Prince of Tyre: II,iv)

No comments: