Wednesday, September 3, 2008

A Buncha Them Paki Bastard'adors

The August issue of Government Computer News had a piece on the digitization of the Johnson Presidential Library's many audio records, including LBJ's recorded telephone calls. Since the National Archives and Records Administration does not allow its personnel to make transcriptions of presidential recordings, the only transcripts released were the contemporary ones made by Johnson's staff, and they are far from perfect [see Lost in Transcription].

Among the many entertaining telephone conversations LBJ recorded was one to House Speaker McCormack on November 29, 1963, which was cut short when a foreign dignitary arrived. According to the transcript, LBJ told McCormack he had to hang up because:

"I've got a pack of them bastards waiting on me."

But the oral record has him saying:

"I've got the Pakistani Ambassador waiting on me."

I don't know. On this one, I might have to trust LBJ's staff to have the more accurate take.

No comments: